So my son Blake and I food prep lunches on Sundays so we can be prepared to the coming week. He doesn’t enjoy sandwiches or traditional lunches so we have started working together to create healthy lunches that he enjoys and which I know are nutritious.
This week we made baked chicken parmesan with roasted broccoli for his lunches. We did a Facebook Live Video about it and we shared some of our top meal prep tips & tools so feel free to catch that video here.
For over two years now I have made food prep & planning a normal part of our weekends. It’s the cornerstone to eating clean and making healthy & nutritious choices everyday. It’s also part of the program I teach as part of my nutritional coaching program. Willpower is fleeting. Meal planning means you have a variety of healthy foods available to you throughout the week so you can continue to work towards your goals.
I believe strongly in teaching essential life skills like food prep and cooking to our boys so that when they go off to college or university that they can not just take care of themselves but be able to make nutritious meals. So I started including them in our food prep routine when they were 8 or 9 years old. This past week, Blake made a whole dinner for us on his own. So this kind of training and education really pay off and make kids confident in the kitchen. Not only that – they get excited about food and making yummy food that they love to eat. Blake tells us often that his friends always want to know what he is having every week because we love changing it up and having fun with different recipes.
We are going to share the recipe for the wonderful baked parmesan chicken and roasted broccoli that Blake made this week below. We topped it with our favorite roasted tomato marinara sauce so be sure to check out that recipe as well! We hope you enjoy!
Baked Chicken Parmesan + Roasted Broccoli
- 4 chicken breasts
- 5 tbsp olive oil divided
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 heads broccoli chopped
- herb and garlic seasoning
- 1/2 cup roasted tomato marinara sauce see recipe alternatively use bottled marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or italian cheese
- salt and pepper
- If using, the roasted tomato marinara sauce then make the sauce first before starting any of the steps for this dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Add panko to a medium size mixing bowl and mix in the herb and garlic seasoning until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a separate plate, lightly brush the chicken breasts with mayonnaise. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Once coated, roll each chicken breast in the panko mixture and place on another plate.
- Heat up a frying pan to medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to the pan once it's hot and add the chicken breasts. Cook the chicken breasts until each side is deeply golden in hue. Once each side is done, place on one of the prepared backing sheets. Top each breast with marinara sauce and shredded cheese.
- Chop up the broccoli and add to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add 1 - 2 tbsp. of olive oil, salt and pepper and 1-2 tsp of the herb and garlic seasoning. Toss to coat. Once coated, pour into second prepared baking sheet and spread broccoli out evenly.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and the broccoli is lightly browned. Take out of the oven and let cool. Serve immediately OR place into individual containers for lunches.